Aller au contenu
Invision Board France

Team Talk: What's on your bookshelf?

RSS Bot

Messages recommandés

cover.jpg.a39931aae47873c30f13b7b6df81963a.jpg

Benjamin Franklin once wrote "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." Fortunately for me, he'll never see this blog entry.

The Invision Community team are a smart bunch. When they're not being support heroes, fixing code or writing cool new features, they occasionally like to pick up a book, although I guess download a book is more apt these days.

Here's what's on the team's bookshelves now.

Marc S
I go through a lot of books, usually audiobooks rather than actual books (I read enough online to last anyone a lifetime). I tend to go through a lot of factual books, rather than fiction. In the past week I've listened to:

• What if? Serious Scientific answers to absurd hypothetical questions - Randall Muroe
  • A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson
  • At home - Bill Bryson
  • How to land an A330 Airbus - James May

I haven't read any fiction for quite a while now, but if I was to pick any set of books as being my favourite, it would be Kelley Armstrongs Women of the otherworld series.

marc.jpg.792fa6d1b401d4c312d29aaa50c4e1ce.jpg

Some books

Audiobooks tend to be factual, whereas actual books tend to be fiction. I just feel there is more imagination involved when you actually read something that's fiction [Are you talking about support tickets here? - Editor].

Mark W
The last book I read probably won't interest many (if you're curious though, it was "Milarepa and the Art of Discipleship" - a commentary on some of the stories about an 11th century Tibetan yogi) [Yep, we are now less interested - Editor] but the last fiction book I read was 1984 which I'd actually never read before and found it really fascinating - still totally relevant today and absolutely something everyone should read, especially geeks like us.

I read quite a lot of non-fiction, especially related to meditation and Buddhism - it's hard to pick a favourite but the book I probably refer to most and recommend most widely to anyone who might be interested is "Buddhist Meditation" by Kamalashila [How does it end? - Editor].

mark.thumb.jpeg.34917962060adbf06758126eb6dedc46.jpeg

iBooks

One thing I really enjoy when travelling driving or on a plane is listening to audiobooks of books I enjoyed as a child - I find I want some kind of background noise but nothing I have to pay any effort towards. [Like the last feature you wrote? - Editor] The Harry Potter series and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" work brilliantly.

Jim
Last actual "for fun" book and not technology or programming related is probably "Car Guys VS Bean Counters." Very interesting book as Bob Lutz is well, Bob [Good to know - Editor] and he goes through the car business getting squeezed for profitability and how that ruined the soul of the car. 

jim.thumb.jpg.4dac1aef952bed5e5e6ccfcefb38537f.jpg

Lindy will approve

Brandon
I don't know how you all have time to read (or listen to audio books), but then again I guess not everyone has 6 kids that keep them busy. I'm a Dean Koontz fan and in terms of reading (which I rarely do as I don't have time) I always read Dean Koontz (paperback novels). Currently I have "The Silent Corner" [This is also where we send the naughty developers - Editor].in my nightstand which I haven't read yet.

brandon.jpeg.63a0042c780f548afb8e8943e726034d.jpeg

Can't say I've ever met Jane Hawk

Jen
The real real is that my favorite book ever is, The Giver. I ❤️ the ignorance=discipline dystopia. I think my favorite series is The Wit'ch series by James Clemens. I own tons of books but those are the ones that I can go back and read.

Andy
I’m reading Italian children’s books mostly as part of my ongoing learning of Italian. On my bookshelf, there’s also a lot of travel books for places I’ve been and yet to see (this summer we’ll be visiting Romania for a couple of weeks). The Twilight audio set, “Princess, Dragons and Helicopter stories” and other gems in the photo are not mine (honest).

Andy.thumb.jpg.60c7bcd3ab829099447d2972c0aebf2d.jpg

Not using the Dewey Decimal Classification system

I also have a DVD of “The Legend of Effin Eddie: The Amazing True Story of a Hilarious GAA Match Commentary which has Become Famous Worldwide” that I won at a Slovak Gaelic football quiz night [Wow, I have the same DVD! - Editor].

The Snowball by Warren Buffett is probably the book that has had the biggest practical impact on my life and I keep going back to it… I also have many leather bound books that smell of rich mahogany.

Daniel
Right now, I'm reading three different books [And writing this answer? Amazing skills - Editor].
On my iPad, I have my scriptum to prepare for the Boat Skipper B license which I'm going to make in 2 months.

dan.thumb.jpg.e013e69d300edda575c1e4f8f33f2c1e.jpg

More books

I have some old Poker Books, because I love to gamble [Like when you push a branch? - Editor]. I played a lot in the past and miss the funny times, so I wanted to refresh my knowledge about all the stuff.
As you see, no fiction books, just educational books.

Matt M
I love to read. I'm old enough to remember the days when we made books from a material called paper. These books were quite thick and took up a lot of room. [lol slow down grandpa - Editor] These days I stick to the Kindle and Audible stores. I especially like Audible. It enables me to listen to books when I'm working around the house, or out and about dropping my son off at his clubs.

My all time favourite book is probably "The Road" by Cormack McCarthy. It's a dsytopian novel, which is a genre I enjoy. I also enjoy Stephen King's work. "The Stand" is of course one of his best. I quite enjoyed the Mercedes Killer series too.

I'm a huge fan of the Jack Reacher series of novels. The quality can vary a little, but Jack Reacher is a great creation and I admire Child's writing style. He tends to just sit down once a year and start working on a new novel. He doesn't often plan out plots and structures, he tends to write and see where it takes him [Bit like this blog - Editor]

jack.thumb.jpg.0169e3db02fef4b49e99fa7349728d94.jpg

Even more books

I tend to listen to a lot of psychology. and health and fitness books. I'm currently working my way through "12 Rules For Life" by Jordan B Peterson.

If I wasn't a software developer, I think I'd happily be an author [Don't quit the day job - Editor].

Mark H
I don't have an all-time favorite "book" (singular), I read series of them. I'd say the first 6 Dune books are my favorite series.

• Dune (1965)
  • Dune Messiah (1969)
  • Children of Dune (1976)
  • God Emperor of Dune (1981)
  • Heretics of Dune (1984)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (1985)

After that it would be series by Robert Jordan, "The Wheel of Time". There are 15 books in total, but I've only read the first 12 written entirely by Jordan, not the prequel or the 2 that had to be finished by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death.

• The Eye of the World    (1990)
  • The Great Hunt        (1990)
  • The Dragon Reborn    (1991)
  • The Shadow Rising    (1992)
  • The Fires of Heaven    (1993)
  • Lord of Chaos        (1994)
  • A Crown of Swords    (1996)
  • The Path of Daggers    (1998)
  • Winter's Heart        (2000)    
  • Crossroads of Twilight    (2003)
  • New Spring                (2004)
  • Knife of Dreams        (2005)
  • The Gathering Storm    (2009)
  • Towers of Midnight    (2010) **
  • A Memory of Light    (2013) **

**finished by Sanderson

After that it would be the original Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. I've not read the 3 related books Asimov added to the series after the original 3. That's on my "to do" list.

• Foundation
  • Foundation and Empire
  • Second Foundation

I'm sure I'll think of more which I've forgotten [Happens to us all eventually - Editor], but I am not reading any book now, nor have I within the last several years. Have no time to do so.

That's what is on our bookshelves. We'd love to know what your favourite book is, and what you're reading now. Let us know in the comments below.

Lire l’article complet