Aller au contenu
Invision Board France

Team Talk: If you could only keep five possessions, what would they be?

RSS Bot

Messages recommandés

luggage-1643010_1920.jpg.5d9527fdcd39890c8ef3da1abfeb56c0.jpg

This month we ask a very simple question that got our team thinking hard.

“If you could only keep five possessions, what would they be?”

Now, this doesn't assume that there is a disaster, so you don't need to think about things like food and water. It also doesn't need to include humans or pets. This is also not a "Desert Island" question so survival tools are not required.

This got us really thinking about what material possessions are important to us. It also made us realise how much technology has made a lot of things redundant. We might have said "CD collection and my favourite books" ten years ago, but with a phone, that's no longer the case as so much is handled on the device.

Ryan (Developer & Guitar showroom owner)

In terms of just packing up and moving on, I actually don't own a lot that I would consider critical / prized / irreplaceable. My dad's 50 year old acoustic guitar is all I would take with me, as it's the only thing that *isn't* directly replaceable. Maybe include iMac and iPhone to have some sort of connexion to the outside world at all times, but I really don't need anything else I own.

5a145a477820b_ImageuploadedfromiOS.thumb.jpg.ab4e9fac4664c0f6926efc73c0ca2e57.jpg

Brandon (Developer & Jet ski owner)

I guess if I were to pick five things I couldn't live without I'd have to narrow down the list to my phone, my wallet, my TV (I unwind by zoning out on movies or home repair shows), my car (I can't walk to anything but the ICW here which wouldn't do me much good), and coffee (with International Delights Cold Stone Creamery creamer).

5a14714a9285b_jet-1.jpg640320pixels2017-11-2118-32-05.png.c5e255b4f4a3d4675fa9680ad83ababd.png

Brandon neglected to mention that he owns a Jet Ski

Marc S (Support technician & cycle injury enthusiast)

Top 5 is hard, and makes you realise that despite living in a world of material possession, we actually rely on very few things. Albeit tending to be expensive things. So here goes.

Mobile Phone - Despite the calls (which I could do without), and facebook (which I probably should do without), I have a problem with sleeping. For years now I have been using the audible app on my phone to listen to audiobooks. Usually factual stuff, so it doesnt really matter if I lose position. It helps me with my sleep, and therefore my sanity.

Computer - This isn't just because I work on one. I tend to spend a lot of hours at it, even when I am not working. Whilst I do support here at IPS, I do a lot of development in my spare time, on my own projects, and quiet enjoy it. Currently working on an app for my brother which tracks horse racing points for a game that he runs, which is just something a bit different to do of an evening.

Kettlebells - I'm trying to get a little fitter than I am at the moment. I spent a long time being a very unfit person, and sitting at a computer 24/7. Never a good thing to do, and it eventually starts to catch up with your wasteline (honestly. You in your 20s reading this, it does!). I joined a gym before I moved house, and got quite into working out with kettlebells, so when I moved, I bought some to use myself. I now have a PT who creates sessions for me each week.

5a146ba57c14c_Image2017-11-2118-05-22.thumb.png.a32e5a89ecd2dded8e83f989c5a03220.png

We're unsure who took the photo

Bike - Whilst I havent used it half as much as I would like lately, I trained for, and completed, a 100 mile bike ride earlier this year, along with a few friends, including Andy Milne. This made be realise just how much I enjoy riding a bike. To the degree we're now planning our next bike challenge.

Kettle - I'm pretty sure I would die without coffee. There is little else to say about that!

Andy  (Developer and Support technician)

I realise I have far too much clutter in my life answering this question but I managed to come up with 4 things;

Running Shoes
Bike
Watch
Laptop

IMG_0955.thumb.jpg.7ab6051c796dd52af8633d59b25c28cb.jpg

Andy finishing the Reykjavik marathon, 19 August 2017

I’m going to make a conscious effort to be a bit more minimalist now and switch to a standing desk and a Paleo diet or go barefoot or whatever other healthy lifestyle choice @Matt recommends this week.

Mark W (The Senior Developer)

To answer this question I opened up my travel checklist - having taken off the things you said are excluded like clothes and toiletries, the only thing I have is my meditation stool, my laptop, my iPad, my phone, and my watch... so I guess that's my 5!

Matt (Developer and object of ridicule)

It's a hard one to answer. Years ago, before the internet, I could have listed many things but digital devices and "The Cloud" replaces so much. Here's my five.

Macbook Pro. This is my daily work machine and uses iCloud to sync up my work and personal items like photos, etc. I'd have this packed first.

iPhone. It's never far from my hands and with Netflix, Amazon, Audible, iTunes and Kindle contains books, music, favourite TV shows and more. I use Audible most nights to help me switch off and get to sleep.

Sleepphones. I like to look really cool while sleeping, so a grey fleece headband is a must. Fortunately, they also double as bluetooth headphones designed to not dig into your ears while you sleep. I couldn't be without these.

5a146b7d71a00_Image2017-11-2118-06-35.png.c8fbd434cef262d43d5ba5c9b0dfa930.png

Air Pods. Yes, another pair of headphones. But these little beauties fit in my pocket and I use them when out and about. The lack of cable is a real plus although they're easy to lose.

Concept 2 Rower: Ok, so it's not really going to fit in my hand luggage but I thought about which bit of fitness equipment I'd keep. It's a tough one between kettlebells, weights, the treadmill and the rower but I think the rower wins as it can be used many ways for a good workout.

Mark H (Support Technician and part-time Phil)

Macbook, iPhone, E-cig, suspenders, and my .357 Magnum.
(Editors note: I'm genuinely not sure if this is a joke answer or not but didn't like to ask. Either way it's the best list of things I've ever seen.)

giphy.gif

Daniel (Support Technician and Developer)

My five are: Phone, watch, laptop and 1000kg of headache medicine. That's it, i don't need a fifth item since it's only about "stuff" and not family.
(Editors note: I'm hoping that 1000kg is just a guess. I'm starting to regret asking this question.)

Jennifer (Designer)

Computer - This is my work, play, entertainment, and more device. Plus it's a beast.

Mobile Phone - When I'm not on my PC I'm on my phone. It keeps me connected to my communities when I'm out. Plus Zombies, Run is on it.

High heels - If I had to choose a specific pair it would one of these two.

5a146bb0ec9b7_ImageuploadedfromiOS(1).thumb.jpg.3d60c271c93bed8311f86d9f31386d6d.jpg

Bed - It is wonderful and has all of my blankets. I couldn't live without my blankets.

Dix It - Because I really couldn't think of another thing and this game is hilarious and fun.

This really got us thinking about what is important to us and how much "stuff" we have. What would your five things be?

Lire l’article complet