Aller au contenu
Invision Board France

Matt Sur Irc

thewiseoldman

Messages recommandés

Voici un extrait d'un chat avec Matt sur un site anglais. pas de grande révélation mais c'est sympathique ;)

[15:00]<Cary> First of all, thanks to everybody who came to the chat...  There are only two rules that I ask everybody to abide to. 1) No swearing, and 2) Please do not 'bash' any board. Whether it's Invision Board, vBulletin, phpBB - it simply won't be tolerated...  is there anything else you want to add, Matt?

[15:01] <Matt> Only to thank everyone for showing up.

[15:01] <Johnr> my question - when will the cms be ready

[15:02] <Matt> John, do you really want one of my trademarked release dates?

[15:03] <NickM> Matt - How did you get into computers and graphics stuff?

[15:03] <Matt> I went to college to train as a graphic designer - but I got into computers at a very early age. I guess I was about 12 when I wrote my first BASIC program.

[15:03] <Andrew> Hope this doesnt sound daft, I am good at that.  Where do you see IPS in 5 years?

[15:05] <Matt> That's a good question. I hope that in 5 years IPS is a profitable stable company that can still offer great software both free and paid for.

[15:04] <Wizerd> Matt: What was your inspiration for Invision Board?

[15:05] <Matt> I've been coding bulletin boards for a while now. I left Ikonboard to write Invision Power Board.

[15:05] <Sn2> and what methods did you use to learn PHP?

[15:06] <Matt> I guess I first wrote a bulletin board because I needed a board for my own website but couldn't afford a commercial solution and most of the free solutions weren't up to par.

[15:04] <LoveShack> Hmm. I have one for you Matt. Many session-based web applications are having problems dealing with sessions that occur via multi-homed proxies. What sort of techniques has Invision used to combat this problem if any? What is the approach you're using?

[15:07] <Matt> IPB v1.2 uses an improved session handler that assigns cookies where ever possible to save the potential problem of intranet users clicking on a link containing a session ID.

[15:07] <LoveShack> I should have added in instances where cookies aren't available

[15:08] <Matt> As long as the users can be identified by a remote address or an HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR string, there shouldn't be any problems.

[15:08] <Matt> If cookies are not available and everyone uses the same IP address, IPB will assume that they are the same user. If you can't identify them, they can't have a lone session

[15:04] <Johnr> How long did it take you to learn PHP

[15:09] <Matt> I picked up PHP pretty quickly as I'd been coding Perl for about 2 years before starting with PHP.

[15:04] <JC|OBB> What is your status on .NET Programming Languages? Good, bad? The future?

[15:10] <Matt> I don't have much to do with the Windows world as I use a Mac. When I get the time I'll order a few .NET books.

[15:05] <Sn2> and what methods did you use to learn PHP?

[15:10] <Matt> I got a few PHP books from Amazon and wrote a few test scripts in PHP to convert my Perl methods to PHP. I call it PHPerl

[15:05] <Chris> Is there someone that's helping you code IPB?

[15:11] <Matt> IPB has a wonderful support team and staff that allow me to concentrate on coding IPB, which I do alone. I find it faster to work alone than part of a larger group.

[15:07] <Ganon[lunch]> What are IPB's key objectives as a BBS that differentiate it from other BBS's?

[15:12] <Matt> I don't know if I have a list of things that make it different. I have a little vision of what I'd like to see and I try to stick to it regardless of what anyone else is doing.

[15:09] <Chris> When did IPB Forum Start being coded?

[15:12] <Matt> February 2002

[15:09] <Johnr> matt:why dont you add threaded view as a OPTION

[15:13] <Matt> I might - but to do so means I'll have to make some GUI concessions and some coding concessions. It's not at the top of my list at the moment but that doesn't mean it'll never see the light of day. I have a workable idea for a hybrid system that I'll play around with soon.

[15:11] <Chris> How IPB gain Fame or become popular?

[15:14] <Matt> We were very, very lucky to have such a great team and a great member base who all spread the word very quickly when I left Ikonboard - without them we wouldn't be here.

[15:12] <CitruS> Matt, what's your job and where do you work?

[15:15] <Matt> At the moment I work in a local graphic design studio during the day - but I have made plans to leave and I will be working on IPS full time very soon.

[15:13] <CitruS> What's your favorite drink and do you miss ikonboard?

[15:16] <Matt> Coffee or Diet Coke (can't stand regular coke - it's tooth rot in a bottle). I see Ikonboard as the dress rehersal and Invision Power Board as the real deal. I'm happy where I am now.

[15:16] <JC|OBB> Are you considerably rich? With your current job and the IPS revenues?

[15:18] <Matt> At the moment I live alone, and in England that's not cheap  IPS is a growing company. It's stable and profitable.

[15:18] <CitruS> Matt, how much money do you make from IPS?

[15:19] <Matt> Charles and I reinvest back heavily into IPS to allow it to grow.

[15:20] <Dymero> Ok.  I guess I'll break my promise: Matt, do you see IPB taking a leadership position in the bulletin board market in the near future?

[15:21] <Matt> That's not for me to say, it's up to the people who need bulletin boards  My sole aim isn't to be a market leader as that's purely based on perception.

[15:21] <JC|OBB> What Mac do you currently own, and would you rate it over a PC? (and do you have any plans to upgrade?)

[15:22] <Matt> I use an iMac and it serves me very well. I use a Mac because it's the best tool for me and the job I do. I don't get involved in mindless "what's better?" debates as it's all subjective

[15:23] <CitruS> Is there a website where we can see the graphics you have made?

[15:24] <Matt> Not any more unfortunately.

[15:24] <Cary> From Woody: Is it difficult/frustrating to continue to provide a free forum while trying to make a profit?

[15:26] <Matt> My biggest problem is trying to disassociate the word "money" from "dirty". We've all got to eat, right? IPB is only a small part of IPS so we're not overly concerned with it turning in a profit. As long as it pays enough to cover its costs and to justify its development, Charles and I are happy.

[15:26] <Cary> From Xiphoid: Where does invision board get their feature-ideas from ? Brain storming with the crew? Personal preference, or requests by the community or maybe even populairity from other forum softwares?

[15:27] <Matt> Most of the features come from suggestions from the members - they are then developed from there. We also have a very busy community - I write tools that we need to maintain the community and I figure if we can make use of them, others can too.

[15:28] <Matt> Of course, there is cross pollenation of features; people who've administrated other board software request similar features or features that they're used to.

[15:27] <Cary> From Ryan: How long do you spend coding a day, and how do you keep up with it? Do you ever need to just take breaks, or walk away for a day?

[15:30] <Matt> I guess I spend out 7 hours a day on IPS of which about 4/5 hours are spent coding IPB. I don't work on Friday night or Saturday night because I'm with Debbie and it's a no coding zone to save our sanity.

[15:30] <Cary> From CitruS: how long have you known zef and luke?

[15:31] <Matt> how long have you known zef and luke?: I've known Zef since before YaBB was publicly available. Luke is a good friend and we've known each other for a few years now.

[15:31] <Cary> Another question from CitruS: do you wear glasses?

[15:32] <Matt> LOL, no - I don't. My last eye test had me at 20/19 vision.

[15:32] <Cary> From Jag: What does it take to join the dev team? As in how would I be able to write a program for IPS officialy? (like IPFM) (IE: I know you right IPB alone, but I would like to help IP offer a wider range of scripts

[15:32] <Matt> Email me  It's the best way.

[15:32] <Cary> From Chris: IS IPB(IPS) now your main job or is it just a hobby on the side?

[15:34] <Matt> IPS is definately not a hobby  Charles works at it full time and I work at it as much as I can. IPS will be my only "job" within the next few months.

[15:34] <Cary> Another from Chris: How did you get staff for IPS and how do you know them?

[15:35] <Matt> Some of the staff have been with us since Ikonboard. We pick staff based on many factors - the amount of help, quality of posting is amongst them.

[15:35] <Cary> From JohnR: Matt, I am shortly going to be launching my scripting/tutorial site. Any tips on how to start traffic rolling?

[15:37] <Matt> Giving away free stuff seems to work  It depends on the core content, but all the usual rules apply; submit it to all the major search engines, make sure the HTML is clean enough to be googled efficiently - submit links at hotscripts.com, put the link in your forum signatures, etc.

[15:37] <Cary> From chiel: in percent, how many payd users do you think you got in comparison with normal users?

[15:39] <Matt> in percent, how many payd users do you think you got in comparison with normal users? It's difficult to give a number as we don't really keep statisitcs on who uses the free services. We have had over 250,000 downloads of IPB since it's release mid-2002. I guess that equates to roughly 150,000 - 175,000 installed boards out there.

[15:39] <Cary> From Bane: Has invisionboard.com server moved to mysql 4.x.x and if so what kind of performance increases have you noticed? Also, how long do you think before ipb starts taking advantage of MySQL 4 only features?

[15:40] <Matt> Yes, we've just been forced to upgrade through CPanel and it's been a bit of a nightmare with index file corruptions and general MySQL 4 bugginess.

[15:41] <Matt> When it works, it's pretty good. The query caching has helped and the new 1.2 full text searching has made searches 500 times more efficient.

[15:40] <Cary> From CitruS: How much would a woodchuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

[15:41] <Matt> 3 if you're using PHP 4.3, 2 if you're using PHP < 4.2.

[15:41] <Cary> From xiphoid: Matt, How do you have developer meetings with your staff - even though you are coding everything yourself, you probably do have some meetings with the staff, community staff or otherwise involved users. Is this done over IM networks (like irc/icq) or through forums ? or ofcourse, otherwise!

[15:43] <Matt> We are always in constant contact in IM's and telephone. We have an IRC staff channel, a few team forums and we meet at least once a month on IRC

[15:43] <xiphoid> Additional to my question matt; is being on a timezone difference a problem planning those meetings ?

[15:44] <Matt> It's not a really big problem - it just takes some planning to find a date and time that 95% of us can make.

[15:43] <Cary> Another from xiphoid: Where did you get your 'marketing'/ 'advertising' skills / help  from ?

[15:44] <Matt> Where did you get your 'marketing'/ 'advertising' skills / help  from ?: Charles is very talented with marketing and advertising. He's made many very useful contacts during his online time and is putting them to good use now.

[15:44] <Cary> From Woody: After IPB 1.* development is handed off to another team what will you focus on? More products like the CMS or working on the next big release of IPB?

[15:47] <Matt> I'll always have a hand in with IPB - especially major point releases or new builds. I have the CMS under development and we have a few other projects in planning that we're looking forward to getting on with.

[15:44] <Xbox> matt, how long have you been making IPS, and what was your very first product?

[15:46] <Matt> matt, how long have you been making IPS, and what was your very first product?: My first real product was Ikonboard. I've been with IPS since the start :)

[15:47] <Cary> From Chris: Those who were picked from ikonBoard, are they still on ikonboard or have they resigned there and started new here?

[15:48] <Matt> I'm still registered at Ikonboard, my passwords seems to have changed though ;) The team that came with me resigned from Ikonboard the night Charles and I left.

[15:48] <Matt> Although I've never officially resigned from JEG and I'm still a stockholder.

[15:48] <Cary> From JC|OBB: Could you tell us the reasons you decided to integrate Integrity Messenger into IPB 1.2 and above? Business or Personal etc...

[15:49] <Matt> It's a case of it came along at the right time. The people behind IM have a great attitude and we're looking forward to producing more applications with them.

[15:52] <Matt> As a follow up, what plans for the future do you have with IM? I'd rather not say at this point  Not for any esoteric "secret" project reasons, just that it's not only up to me what gets discussed.

[15:49] <Cary> From JohnR: Matt, Has anybody took over the role of Gladiator?

[15:51] <Matt> No, there hasn't been the need to really. Charles and I are watching over the support team, but they do such a great job there isn't much to manage on a day to day basis.

[15:52] <xiphoid> Are you planning time to take a short vacation/break to clear your head and sip some coctail on a beach ?

[15:53] <Matt> Vacations are for the easily bored  I've not had much time off since November 2002.

[15:54] <xiphoid> My longest vacation lasted 4 weeks

[15:52] <Cary> From CitruS: Do you still use Perl? If so, where and how?

[15:54] <Matt>  From CitruS: Do you still use Perl? If so, where and how? I use it now and again - mainly for *nix administration. You can't beat a bit of perl -e

[15:52] <NickM> Matt: What is your favourite travis track?

[15:55] <Matt> How can I choose with so many to choose from? "As you are" from The Man Who... is fairly decent.

[15:54] <Cary> Another question from CitruS: Have you ever met Charles in real life?

[15:55] <xiphoid> Does Charles wear glasses

[15:56] <Matt> Have you ever met Charles in real life?: We have a big UK based meeting planned for this summer which we're looking forward to. It'll be a chance to meet some of the community in "real life" and generally have a bit of fun.

[15:57] <Matt> Did he scare you?: No. Does Charles wear glasses. No.

[15:57] <Cary> From Chen: What keeps you motivated to provide software and support to people, for free?

[15:59] <Matt>  What keeps you motivated to provide software and support to people, for free?: I just really enjoy it. It's hard to put a finger on it but I just get a kick out of developing software. You can't beat the feeling when you get a bit of code done and it works first time and it does exactly what you want. Most people appreciate the work that goes into IPB and that is its own reward really.

[15:59] <xiphoid> Matt: Spoil us with some personals! Burger King or McDonalds ? (or neither) -  Levi Pants or joggings (or something else) - Morning coffee or midnight redbulls ?  - Shoes or sandals ?

[16:00] <Matt> Matt: Spoil us with some personals! Burger King or McDonalds ? (or neither) -  Levi Pants or joggings (or something else) - Morning coffee or midnight redbulls ?  - Shoes or sandals ?  McDonalds (I guess!), Levis everytime, Morning Coffee (can't get going without it) and shoes.

[15:59] <Cary> From Bane: How many people are still *wrongly* blaming your team for the neowin debacle, and do you feel that the aftermath of it has damaged the reputation of IPS in any way?

[16:02] <Matt> I don't think you've lived until you open up your mail client and see an email from Microsoft with a C&D order. I don't think it has damaged IPS infact, as the saying goes, "there is no such thing as bad publicity".

[16:00] <xiphoid> damn, forgot to ask 'southpark or the simpsons' ?  ;/ oh well.

[16:01] <Debbie|IPS> SIMPSONS

[16:01] <Debbie|IPS> HE IS A SIMPSONS FREAK!

[16:01] <Debbie|IPS> He loves Homer so much he even reminds me of him sometimes ;) Or is it me who loves Homer? o_O

[16:02] <Matt> damn, forgot to ask 'southpark or the simpsons': Simpsons - Homer is my role model.

[16:02] <Cary> From CitruS: What degrees do you have and what college/university did you graduate from?

[16:03] <Matt> I stopped at college. I got disillusioned with the education system by then.

[16:03] <Cary> From Xbox: why did you get rid of the fast reply button? I think it was a good idea.

[16:04] <Matt> LOL, I get this alot. It's there, just not in every forum.

[16:04] <Cary> From CitruS: Who thought of IPS? Who came up with the name?

[16:05] <Matt> It was the result of a long nights brainstorming. It developed out of several ideas.

[16:05] <Cary> From Chris:  What were the staff thinking about the new company of IPS? Were they very confident...or somewhat...?

[16:06] <Matt> I think the staff that came over from Ikonboard had every confidence in Charles and I - the name of the company to them at the time was irrelevant.

[16:06] <Cary> From xiphoid: Are you looking forward on seeing 'The Matrix Reloaded' ?

[16:06] <Matt> Are you looking forward on seeing 'The Matrix Reloaded' ? Heck, yeah! It's one of the few movies this year that'll get me to the cinema. No self respecting geek should miss it.

[16:07] <Cary> From JohnR: Are you planning to buy a powerbook so you can work on the move

[16:07] <Matt> Yes

[16:07] <CitruS> Do you spend night after night wondering what the Matrix is?

[16:08] <Matt> No, but the original movie did make me pause and think about it quite seriously. It's an interesting story.

[16:07] <Cary> From Xbox: Will the fast reply button be included with IPB V 1.2?

[16:08] <Matt> Will the fast reply button be included with IPB V 1.2?  Yes, it's our take on the "Quick Reply" feature.

[16:08] <Cary> From Cagez: are there any little secrets that your going to tell us? You knowm just because we all cool and came to this little meeting...

[16:10] <Matt> I don't think I have anything to tell really - I'm quite open with what's going on in IPB development. I can say that 1.2 will allow you to start a poll after starting a topic (if you're the topic starter or a super moderator) and that 1.2 introduces quick links to topics/forums (index.php?showtopic=1) amongst

[16:11] <aent> amongst what?

[16:11] <Matt> "Other things"

[16:10] <Cary> From Chris: What kind of dreams do you have for IPS Company and for IPB also?

[16:12] <Matt> I would like IPS to grow and give everyone involved a stable future.

[16:12] <Cary> From aent: Whats coming from IPS? and whats with the IPS .Staff (the dot) and not showing the member group in the profiles for them?

[16:13] <Matt> Whats coming from IPS? and whats with the IPS .Staff (the dot) and not showing the member group in the profiles for them?  We're finishing up v1.2, then we'll be working on 1.3 (which will have unlimited subforums) and the CMS initially. I'll also be overseeing more plug in modules for IPB.

[16:13] <Matt> As for the .IPS_Staff thing, it's something that we're testing out with the new 1.2 permissions. Our own board is a great place to test out new features.

[16:13] <Cary> From Bane: Lets talk about your users for a moment. Do you browse any IPB Powered sites? If so are there any you would consider to be very good examples of what you can do with IPB, or that display the customizabilty of your software?

[16:15] <Matt> Sure, Neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/) is a good example of how IPB can be deployed on a small-ish server and still maintain good speed with hundreds of online users and a good example of centralizing the user registration system. thebearspot.com (http://www.thebearspot.com/) is also a favourite.

[16:16] <Cary> From trilluser: Recently vB offer both German and English version on the same day, do you think IPB will do some similar things with the international site when v1.2 come out? Do you think IPB did well as a International market?

[16:17] <Matt> Recently vB offer both German and English version on the same day, do you think IPB will do some similar things with the international site when v1.2 come out? Do you think IPB did well as a International market?  We always had localized support for IPB via third party sites in our international section. We are looking to bring our international support site owners closer to IPB to improve communication and productivity.

[16:17] <Cary> From Xbox: What country are you from?

[16:17] <Matt> I live in Hampshire, England.

[16:17] <Cary> From JohnR: How many vBuletin users have converted since you wrote the convertor?

[16:19] <Matt> It's hard to give a definate figure. We get about 10 downloads a day of the free convertor and we've overseen a substantial amount of paid convertions.

[16:19] <Cary> From Chris: How much staff is there now and are you thinking of employing more?

[16:21] <Matt> How much staff is there now and are you thinking of employing more?: We have about 40 team members in total and we'll be reviewing the need for more after 1.2 is released.

[16:21] <Matt> And how much do the IPS employees make also?: It's not really something that's fit for discussion here

[16:21] <Cary> From aent: What unanounced projects are there?

[16:24] <Matt> We've announced everything that's up to date

[16:24] <Cary> From CitruS (who seems to be gone now): When will be Debbie be Debbie Mecham?

[16:25] <Matt> Pretty soon

[16:25] <Cary> Two Questions from Chris: What do you think the best feature on IPB is? currently. | How much did you invest into IPB per year?

[16:27] <Matt> The best feature on IPB is the members that keep us on our toes, keep us working hard and keep on using our product. Invest as in time? Everything and more

[16:27] <Cary> From Cagez: how old are you?

[16:27] <Matt> 27

[16:27] <Cary> From Stuart: Can i come to the wedding?

[16:28] <Debbie|IPS> @ stuart - so long as you behave

[16:28] <Cary> From Tubedogg: How do you respond to your critics who have seen the vB staff go out of their way to allow you lattitude in esentially advertising on the vB.com forums and then see you turn around and bash vB to bits on other forums?

[16:29] <Matt> Are you sure you want to get into this Kevin?

[16:29] <tubedogg> It's up to you, if you want to address it in public.

[16:29] <tubedogg> I'll tell you that we feel extremely betrayed by your actions, but it's up to you if you want to answer the question.

[16:31] <Matt> Ok, first off John Percival and the vB staff have always treated me very well on the vB support board - especially when I developed Ikonboard.

[16:31] <Matt> I didn't really plug Ikonboard (other than my name which I changed) but I did get involved with Ikonboard related discussions on vb.com

[16:33] <Matt> When I left Ikonboard and started on IPB I felt a little more awkward posting over at vbulletin.com because I was seen more as a direct competitor by the vB users who post there.

[16:33] <Matt> I felt that I couldn't really get involved in Invision Board related topics as much as I could with Ikonboard related topics so I read but rarely replied.

[16:36] <Matt> There were topics on the vB forums which weren't very accurate and put IPB in a bad light, but they seemed to go unchecked. I got a little annoyed by a few overly exuberant vB members and a few team members. I did make a few rants over at thebearspot.com as it was an impartial website. I would never, ever make a negative view of vB at IPS/IPB.

[16:37] <Matt> When vB "bashing" topics are started on our board, we lock them as they do not allow vB to put forward their view to give the topic balance.

[16:38] <Matt> I have nothing against vB or the vB staff and I think that Freddie may have to hasty in his criticism of me, but that's understandable.

[16:39] <Matt> I think it was the Neowin topic that pretty much kicked it all off IIRC.

[16:40] <tubedogg> To respond...we try to keep outright bashing out of the forums but many posts walk a fine line between "I don't like IPB because" and "IPB sucks". That said if we see posts like the latter they are usually gone ASAP.

[16:41] <Matt> Kevin, I am always very passionate but not always diplomatic. I usually debate from the heart and not from the head - if I've offended you, then I apologise. It's not my aim to make "enemies" of anyone.

[16:43] <tubedogg> Apology accepted and thank you for not ducking the question.

[16:43] <Matt> Thanks Kevin

[16:38] <Cary> From Cagez: What would you do if i slapped you around with a big large trout?

[16:40] <Debbie|IPS> He would set Barney on you...

[16:40] <Cary> From xttocs: how many words a minute do you type =)

[16:45] <Matt> I have no idea. I can type pretty fast, and need to use the delete key a lot.

[16:43] <Cary> From CeleronXT: Do you prefer Swiss or American cheese?

[16:44] <Matt>  Do you prefer Swiss or American cheese? LOL. I'm into English cheeses really. If it's blue, then it's time to throw it out!

[16:45] <Cary> From Chris: what do you think of the BBS market competition right now? Are you doing better than other mysql/php bbs such as phpbb?

[16:46] <Matt> I don't think it's about "doing better". vB, phpBB and IPB all have very different markets which is why we're all doing well.

[16:47] <Cary> Another From Chris: What is it that every board developer join every other board forums as a member? Trying to uncover secrets or something?

[16:48] <Matt> I'm a member at vB, OpenBB and YaBB. I visit their chit chat forums every now and again.

[16:48] <Matt> I visit the vB chit chat forums quite often - I have a little "round robin" of sites I visit daily

[16:48] <Cary> Two questions from aent: How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

[16:50] <Matt> I get more than I used to - when I was developing Ikonboard I got about 4 hours a night - now I get at least 6 - usually 7.

[16:50] <Cary> From Cagez: How many "offers" have you had to go chat like this? What made you decide to come here?

[16:52] <Matt> I've had a few  I did an interview with Tolitz a while back, Sitepoint more recently. Cary has a great site with a nice community and it's always nice to be asked to come in for a chat.

[16:52] <Cary> From bolado: Do you like Mexican food?

[16:53] <Matt>  Do you like Mexican food?  Some, I'm not really into spicy food.

[16:53] <Cary> From trilluser: What do you think about unicode? it work well with IPB/php/SQL? Do you think it is important to a BB script?

[16:53] <Matt> Standards of any sort are always important

[16:54] <Matt> We've got IPB into a position where we can refine what we have. IPB 1.2 is the product I've been wanting to make since Ikonboard 2.

[16:54] <Cary> From MikeChristopher: ow can you see yourself and your business in 5 years time in relation to the competition and also do you think that you will expand into a world name rather than just on the internet

[16:55] <MikeChristopher> yeah but would you like to expand further as your learning new things as you go along

[16:56] <Matt> Charles and I are already looking at some real world investments. IPS will have a grounding in real world business. The internet is a wonderful medium but many "dot com" companies haven't survived because they've not invested well.

[16:56] <Matt> I'm sure that in 5 years time, vB will be releasing vB 6 and I'll be hammering away at IPB 4 ;)

[16:56] <Cary> From Rikki: Can I have a payrise?

[16:56] <Matt> No Rikki, now pick up that oar and start rowing!

[16:57] <Cary> From Chris: Was there any obstacles you had overall with ipb and ips services?

[16:58] <Matt> One day I'll tell you a little story about a Texan named John Jarvis and his many legal friends.

[17:01] <Cary> From MikeChristopher: do you ever think there will be a day when VB and IPB join together

[17:01] <Matt> Now that would be interesting. I can't see it happening though. We both service different markets.

[17:01] <Cary> From Cagez:  can be buy shars for ips?

[17:02] <Matt> Not at the moment. We're incorporated but not floated on the stock market, yet.

[17:02] <Matt> I already have 110,000 shares in JEG and 1 share in Apple Computers

[17:03] <Matt> The Apple share is worth more than the JEG stock.

[17:02] <Cary> From CeleronXT:  Did you have to learn a whole different language (PHP) to move from Ikonboard 2 --> iPB?

[17:03] <Matt> Yes, I had to learn PHP. It wasn't that difficult as I'd been coding Perl for two years.

[17:03] <MikeChristopher> Matt: what do you mean by servicing different markets. both concepts do the same job only get developed differntly and at different times. if both pulled these together do you think that there would never be any possible competition any mroe

[17:04] <Matt> I just don't see it happening all the time both companies are doing well on their own  Unless there was a need to merge, it'll never happen.

[17:05] <Cary> From Cyberlink: Matt: have or will you ever use/used a PC with WindowsXP? ;)

[17:05] <Matt> Yes, I have Virtual PC installed on my Mac.

[17:06] <Matt> I don't hate Windows, I am just used to Macs.

[17:08] <Cary> Actually, one more quesion from CeleronXL:

[17:08] <Cary> I read something you had written before where you said that iB and phpBB and basically any other board were about the same serverwise and there was no real difference in human terms with their speed. However, everything I've seen proves otherwise, and phpBB can't handle the stress of high traffic loads.. O_o

[17:08] <CeleronXL> "I've run some personal benchmarks with Invision Board, phpBB2, YaBB SE and vBulletin and on paper Invision Board is faster, but in "human" terms, there isn't much in it."

[17:09] <Matt> ...I've seen proves otherwise, and phpBB can't handle the stress of high traffic loads: Tests are very subjective. Most humans won't notice a microsecond so the difference between 0.1 and 0.01 isn't very much in "human" terms.

[17:09] <Matt> If a server were configured soley for phpBB, I'm sure it'd handle the load

[17:09] <CeleronXL> Sure.. But even on my localhost, I have phpBB generate at around 0.7 seconds, not too bad, iB at 0.06..

[17:10] <CeleronXL> Now add users to that, and you've really got something going :o

[17:12] <CeleronXL> I wouldn't know.. But anyway, I've never seen a phpBB running on a `real` server (as in something that's not like ultimately beefy) and running at say.. 200 users online.. IPB sure does. =)

[17:12] <Matt> Neowin was running on a 1ghz single processor celeron for a while and kept up with 250 online users

[17:09] <Cary> From Steve: Matt, Boxers or Briefs?

[17:09] <Matt> From Steve: Matt, Boxers or Briefs? I'll let your imagination answer that ;)

[17:15] <Cary> It's now time to wrap up the chat... I would like to thank Matt for taking time out of his busy schedule to pop in and chat with us.  

[17:16] <Matt> Thanks for inviting me here tonight Cary

woua comment c'est une star matt!!

ça devait être bien sympas d'y participer ;)

Personne ne réagit à la partie en gras ? pourtant les sites du support international sont directement impliqués.

Vous en pensez quoi sincèrement ? Pensez vous qu'un rapprochement avec les forums officiels (je ne sais pas sous quelle forme) sera bénéfique ou conserver notre indépendance est primordial ?

je pense que c'est aussi bien d'avoir un forum Fr

car si ca passerai sur le forum officiel

on aurai droit que a un ptit espace des subforums

mais j'ai vu aussi les subforums illimites c'est pas pour la 1.2 ;) c pour la version apres !

Ouais mais le fait que IPBF soit dans des sous-forums implique (logiquement lol... va savoir ;) ) que le forum soit hebergé chez eux, ça réduit la marge de manoeuvre qu'avait Wise sur le serveur dédié, mais ça solutionnerais le problème de l'hebergement :D

Et puis après aux niveau des permissions ca voudrait dire Wise et Quarkcool, que vs ayez accès au PCA. Si tous les admins internationaux sont admins du "community forum" ca va être compliqué non ;) ?

Enfin personellement je ne vois pas comment un rapprochement peut avoir lieu concrètement, à part un peu plus de com' entre vous, nos admins et les admins d'IPS :P

j'avoue ne pas avoir tout lu la première thewise .... trop long et trop la flemme de tout traduire ;)

donc j'ai relu la partie en gras et perso je suis plutôt contre : Matt parle d'améliorer la communication et la productivité ! ce dernier terme me fait un peu tiquer !!

en fait il serait bien d'avoir un lien dans le forum de support international vers le forum français, mais je ne suis pas pour une intégration "officielle" du support français dans le forum international ....

je devine que ça fait disparaitre le problème de l'hébergement, mais je n'aime pas les usines à gaz :P

je trouve en effet que nous avons une couleur propre, une spécificité culturelle ;), et perso je trouve notre forum français beaucoup plus convivial qu'un énorme forum US, dans lequel on trouve aussi des discussions politiques qui me hérissent le poil !

non vraiment, je ne suis pas pour

en plus, comme prolag, je pense qu'on serait perdant dans l'affaire.... le forum serait certainement plus petit, casé entre deux autres forums .... bof bof

enfin, je vois une intégration comme un moyen de contrôle ....

c'est la possibilité de pouvoir un peu tout superviser, tout contrôler pour les boss (enfin à la condition toutefois de comprendre notre langue), et je préfère encore une fois savoir que vous, thewise, quarkcool ... avez les mains libres et pouvez décider librement de ce que doit être ce support;)

voilà

Modifié par Petit_Scarabé

Je pense que nous sommes d'accord ;) Jusqu'à présent ils (IPS) se sont très peu intéressés à ce que nous faisons. J'ai bien précisé je ne sais pas sous quelle forme et il est évident qu'être inclus dans un sous forum des forums officiels ne m'attire nullement.

Maintenant, plus de communication entre nos deux communautés serait évidemment bénéfique. Mais je vote clairement co-opération et indépendance plutôt que soumission et intégration.

Il y a de fortes chances pour que le premier à être contacté soit le support allemand, ses administrateurs étant déjà intégrés à l'équipe IPS.

Il y a de fortes chances pour que le premier à être contacté soit le support allemand, ses administrateurs étant déjà intégrés à l'équipe IPS.

Oui exact j'ai vu ça ....

Concernant ton point de vue, on est bien d'accord oui ;)

Slt,

dabord merci pour nous rapporter cette conversation irc c'est toujours intéressant d'aprendre un peu qui est MAT ;)

Sinon pour le raprochement, peut être qu'une des solutions envisageable et de faire un forum indépendant mais hébergé par ips pour chaque pays avec une barre de navigation sur le site et/ou le forum principale.

De cette manière vous pouvez toujours migrer votre forum ailleurs en cas de gros désaccord et vous pouvez aussi continuer à utiliser une redirection direct vers le forum.

La barre de navigation peut soit être intégré dans le forum (France | Allemagne |Aide | Faq | Services | Recherche | Membres | Calendrie), ou comme j'avais essayé de le proposer pour relié la communauté invision francophone être intégré dans une frame avec un menu déroulant.

En plus vue qu'il y a pas mal de développeur chez ips, ils peuvent carrément faire un barre plus complète avec par exemple un outil de recherche ou autre.

Maintenant une indépendance totale a aussi ces avantages, faut peser le pour et le contre...

Bien amicalement,

Benxico

:'( :'( :'( :'(

MDR :lol:

non c'est pas lui Matt (matthew) c'est le gar qui a développé les forums IB, il est anglais et il a (je pense) rien à voire avec FFworld ;)

LOL oui je suis complètement à côté !!!!!

Bah si c'est lui qui a créé les forums IB, c'est un maître ! C'est vraiment génial, j'ai pu faire la comparaison avec PhpBB c'est le jour et la nuit !!!! VIVE IPB !

Matthew Mecham est le seul et unique développeur d'IPB vraiment rien à voir du tout avec FFWorld ou leur forum développé en interne.

Modifié par thewiseoldman

Comme les autres, je pense que les forums Support France devraient rester comme qu'ils sont. C'est meilleur que des subforums, c'est sûr. ;) Je ne participe pas beaucoup ici (peut-être parce que je ne suis pas Français ;)), mais je pense que c'est important d'accueillir tous, n'importe quelle langue ils parlent. Je pense que Matt est de cet opinion aussi. Le fait qu'ils veulent avoir plus de liens entre les sites internationaux et le site officiel est surtout bon pour les différentes communautés régionales d'IPB et leurs membres.

Modifié par silverstarfish

salut silverstarfish

je vois dans ta signature

un IPB sans base mysql ?

qqu a des infos sur ca ?

bonjour :rolleyes:

Invision Power Flatboard est un script qui utilise les fichiers simples pour retenir des données, alors ça n'a pas besoin un base de données de MySQL. On a commencé ce projet depuis longtemps et on espère le dégager au public en quelques semaines (dépendant de beaucoup de choses ;)). Elle vais être plus simple qu'IPB. On a un forum de développement ici: http://flatboard.invisionboard.com/forums/ et aussi un prévu du nouveau skin XHTML ici: http://flatboard.invisionboard.com/beta1_msngr.gif

Merci pour ton intérêt ^_^

salut silverstarfish

je vois dans ta signature

un IPB sans base mysql ?

qqu a des infos sur ca ?

bonjour ^_^

Invision Power Flatboard est un script qui utilise les fichiers simples pour retenir des données, alors ça n'a pas besoin un base de données de MySQL. On a commencé ce projet depuis longtemps et on espère le dégager au public en quelques semaines (dépendant de beaucoup de choses ;)). Elle vais être plus simple qu'IPB. On a un forum de développement ici: http://flatboard.invisionboard.com/forums/ et aussi un prévu du nouveau skin XHTML ici: http://flatboard.invisionboard.com/beta1_msngr.gif

Merci pour ton intérêt ;)

Intéressant... :rolleyes: